Monday, March 2, 2009

Should I Stay or Should I Go?


In these difficult times, we see the news filled with announcements of layoffs and dramatic increases in the numbers of the un- and underemployed growing as the stock market continues to nosedive. Scary stuff.

As a result, there is great focus in the media, and deservedly so, on those who are or will soon be unemployed. However, not as much attention is being paid to what is going through the minds of the employees remaining at these shrinking organizations. The employee population and other resources may be dwindling, but the work that needs to be done has not.

If you are one of the “corporate survivors,” you are probably groping for answers to one or more of the following questions, in no particular order:


  • Why was I selected to stay?

  • Will the “next shoe drop,” and if so, will my position be eliminated?

  • Who will absorb the work left behind by the departed employees, and how much of it will be assigned to me?

  • How will I be able to do a good job if my workload increases and/or available resources to do my job decreases?

  • Should I stay or should I start looking?
Unfortunately, in these challenging times there are no clear cut answers and the challenges and decisions are complex. And, even with all the professional advice in the world at your fingertips, you are in the best position to answer these questions for yourself. However, as if you already did not have enough to think about, permit me to share a few thoughts.

From my daily contacts in my executive search and career transition work, I am gathering that most of you in the “survivor” positions are falling in one of two categories: (1) the more “risk averse” are hunkering down and staying put for now. That is the “devil that you know is better than the devil you don’t know” strategy; (2) the more “risk tolerant” (excuse the Wall Street jargon -- I know it is not in favor!) may wish to see if the “grass is greener on the other side” and want to at least “stick their toe” in the job market to see just what’s out there, if anything. Neither is a bad strategy if done for the right reasons, given your individual situation.

Thrivival Tips
Whatever path you chose, keep in mind the following:
  • If you decide to stay, take every opportunity to build your skill set to include new or enhance your skill set. Pay particular attention to skills that will make you even more valuable to your current employer or ones that are sought after in the job marketplace.

  • Take advantage of opportunities to volunteer for meaningful projects or join teams at work. It will make you that much more valuable, increase your skills, and be seen as someone who is meeting the challenges of a difficult environment. You don’t want to overload yourself, so do so when it is manageable.

  • Project as positive and “glass half full” demeanor as you can muster. It will say a lot about you and who you are.
Regardless of what choice you make, be certain to consult with your mentor if you have one and your loved ones. Your family has a vested interest in your decisions and a concern for you. And, do your best to stay healthy during this stressful time. I’m not your doctor or your mother, but eat well, try to get plenty of sleep and exercise. Try yoga, meditation or just going for long walks. Again, I’m not your mother or doctor, but for your own well-being, “bundle up. It’s cold out there!”

As my coach used to say to me about keeping difficult times in perspective, “This too shall pass.” Be well and Keep Careering Today and Everyday!


Mark

No comments: