Thursday, November 5, 2009

Constant Contact

In our current job market, it is estimated that candidates find up to 80% of job interviews through networking from list of contacts. No big surprise there, because anyone who has ventured out to look for work has been advised to network, network, and then...network.


The discouraging thing I hear from clients is that many feel they have "tapped out" their list of contacts. Well, that's probably not the case. A social network search of past employers, schools or other affiliations on LinkedIn, Classmates.com, etc. will jar your memory and bring to mind names of people you have not thought about in years! And, the longer you are around (I'm speaking about oldies but goodies like me right now!), the greater chance you have let some contacts fall between the cracks. I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast, so how am I supposed to remember some guy that sat in the cubicle next to me humming show tunes 15 years ago who is now an executive (still humming, I bet)


In reverse, if a name of a former colleague, alum or gym rat partner pops into your head and you can't locate him or her....Google or Bing! Not just his/her name but add any reference or subject you connect with him. I found a guy who lived across from me in my freshman college dorm who loved baseball...I found him working in the HQ of Sports Authority! I'm not kidding! It works.... Please...Keep at it...And, as always, A.B.C.: Always Be Careering!

No comments: